Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Zucchini Bread.

“Pop Tarts? Cereal? Oatmeal? Eggs? Waffles? Toast? What will it be today kiddos?” I get so bored with breakfast.

I love zucchini bread, but I never know if it is considered breakfast or dessert.

My thinking….

  • If banana nut bread is considered breakfast, wouldn’t zucchini bread as well?
  • Zucchini bread has sugar and flour therefore it must be dessert. {hmmm…..Pop Tarts? Sugar. Kid Cereal? Sugar. Waffles? Flour.}
  • This recipe has THREE CUPS of zucchini. How else would I ever get my kids to eat that much zucchini??

My conclusion….

This morning the zucchini bread will be breakfast. My kids will start their morning off with a serving of a green vegetable. 019

And because Jackson, Garrett, and Aaron devoured it…..

(Jackson wasn’t in the picture mood)

011

…it’s a good thing the recipe makes 2 loaves.

021

Maybe it can be a dessert as well.

Zucchini Bread Recipe:

2 1/4 C flour
2 t cinnamon
1/8 t ground cloves
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 C canola oil
3/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
3 eggs
2 t vanilla
zest from one large orange
1/2 C sour cream
3 C grated zucchini
optional: 2/3 C chopped pecans


Topping:
2 T white sugar
2 T brown sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside.
  • Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
  • Beat eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla for about 30 seconds. Add sour cream and orange zest and beat to combine. Mix in zucchini.
  • Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
  • Divide batter between 2 pans. Add topping.
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to make it tomorrow!! Do your kids like pumpkin? I have a great recipe for a pumpkin bread that I add squash or sweet potatoes to and I serve it for breakfast. Its so yummy in the fall and the kids devour it like its cake!

Marla said...

Great idea! I'm definitely going to have to try this. Then I'll know that Parker gets at least one serving of green vegetables in the month. Haha!

Mom/Bam Bam said...

Gosh, I've missed your blog!