Friday, September 12, 2008

Sleeping, Smiles, Hunger, and Time Out!

I haven't blogged about this, because it seems like every time I write about Garrett's sleep habits, they change. But, he has consistently been sleeping 12 hours a night!!! That's longer than his big brother who sleeps 11 hours at night. They both go down at 8:00. Jackson sleeps until about 7:00-7:30 and Garrett sleeps until about 8:00-8:15. I do hear Garrett tossing and turning sometimes during the night, but my sleep training has finally paid off because he knows how to go back to sleep on his own. Now, I am trying to get my body back to sleeping through the night. I am still waking up all through the night....which means getting out of bed to check on him.

He is almost sitting up on his own. He can do it if he is holding on to a toy. Jackson thinks it is the neatest thing. Jackson seems amazed that Garrett can do more than just lay there.

Yesterday, the 4 of us were in the car. Jackson started making funny noises at Garrett and they were both cracking up. It was the funniest thing to hear them both laughing at each other. Aaron and I just kept looking at each other and smiling. It is times like that when I am so happy they are close in age. It may be hard now, but down the road I think it will be much easier.

Garrett's appetite is increasing. He was eating cereal and a vegetable everyday, but I stopped offering the vegetable when he decided he didn't need to drink all of his bottle any longer. (they are supposed to get most of their calories from milk for their first year of life) Recently though, he has been drinking his bottle and looking for more. So, we are back to eating the vegetables. His doctor (and I) would like for him to try all the vegetables before introducing him to fruit. They say once a baby eats fruit, they will want nothing to do with the vegetables. (I think at this point, Garrett would enjoy anything placed in his mouth!) However, last night Jackson had some left over banana from dinner. I decided to mash just a little of it up and added it to Garrett's cereal (I know, I know, I would have NEVER done this with Jackson....but with the 2nd, I am just okay with more things.) Garrett LOVED it. He was smiling and laughing. He was so excited! I think we have 3 more vegetables to master, and then we will move onto the fruit.

Even though most of the time Jackson is well behaved, this week he has learned what "Time Out" is. I don't know if it is because we are getting close to the age of 2 or what....but this week we have had a few days when nothing can seem to go his way. Our "time out location" is our love seat. (so if you come to our house and sit on the love seat, Jackson may think you made a bad choice and had to go to time out) As of now, he has had to go to time out for throwing laundry at me while I was trying to fold it and standing/running on the couch while barking like a dog. For now, I have to sit with him in time out so he will actually stay put....and when he gets out he has to tell me he is sorry and give me a hug. "Sorr-ty Mom" as he says it. As of now, time out seems to be working! I am kind of worried about the age TWO.

I hope you all have a great weekend. Cotton Fest is this weekend, so I think we may try to take the boys this evening when Aaron gets off of work. We haven't been able to go the past 2 years, so Aaron and I are looking forward to getting a funnel cake! Have a good weekend and enjoy the rain!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelli: I just love your blogs. It keeps my up-to-date on what the boys and you guys are up to. I love it!!!
Gramma Lynn